There has been a place of worship in Goathland, on the North Yorkshire Moors, for at least eight centuries; and at the site of the present church of St Mary since Elizabethan times.
The present building, which was completed in 1896, was designed by Mr Walter H Brierly of York who said of his creation: "The qualities of simplicity, breadth and sturdiness were felt to be especially required for such a bleak moorland situation, and were aimed at in the design".
Today Goathland is a member of a group of five parishes: the Benefice of Middle Esk Moor. Together with Goathland, this comprises: St Hilda's Egton, St Thomas', Glaisdale, St Matthew's Grosmont and St James' Lealholm. The Vicar of the Benefice is Revd. Paul Jackson. For more information click here.
A wealth of information on the Benefice churches may be found here: http://www.mideskbenefice.org.uk
Scroll down for a map and details of how to find St Mary's.
St Mary's Church is 175 yds east of centre of postcode: YO22 5AW.
Latitude and longitude: N (54.3950) W (-0.7267)
OSX (Eastings) 482770 OSY (Northings) 500693
National Grid: NZ827006
From York, follow the A64 north to Malton (16 mi) and join the A169 to Pickering (7 mi). About 11 mi from Pickering turn left following sign to Goathland. In 2½ mi at crossroads, St Mary's church will be on your right (see photo above).
From Middlesbrough, follow the A171, bypassing Guisborough (5 mi). In about 20 mi on the outskirts of Whitby turn right at roundabout onto the A169. In about 4 mi, after passing through the village of Sleights and a long climb onto the moor top, turn right following sign to Goathland. In about 2 mi pass the North Yorkshire Moors Railway Station and enter central Goathland from the east. At the village cross turn left. St Mary's will be 750yds ahead.